Friday, November 8, 2013

My Stuffed Best Friend by Anna Kondratyeva



My Stuffed Best Friend

The patchwork of mustard plants rippled
Beguiling in the first light of dawn
And in the peace the rang out clear
A splash, and he was gone

I remember
I felt the flowers clench in fright

I took a step, and then another
Migrating towards the place
Where his remains lay untarnished
Draped in mid morning lace

My movements were robotc as
My cheeks burned fiery red
For no matter how I regretted
He remained, of my doing, dead

I came upon the chartreuse moss
A pond in willow's shade
This was the magnet, the keeper
The place where we once played

He was the highlight of my life
Our days were filled with joy
His stuffed paws would walk and he'd roll on the grass 
As I told him softly, "Good boy."

He was my best friend, forever, for life!
But one time, he could not play
I threw him away from myself to the pond
As he simply could not obey 

Now this was just childish whimsy
As I really loved him so
It's hard to look back, to remember
How awful I was years ago

The flowers shook their heads at me
Reading my thoughts-
Had I really changed?

No comments:

Post a Comment