Monday, October 8, 2012

Heart's Toll

Heart’s Toll
                                 

So high, so precariously high

Slung between rock walls
 like the delicate thread
 of a spider’s web

I step on my brakes before Bixby Bridge 
then peer out to see the waves ebb and flow
260 feet below

Awestruck by it’s magnitude
self-importance no longer apt
even my courage gets tapped

So unsure, so surprisingly unsure

Sunset sweeps all color from the sky
coastal fog drips down the slender spikes
of a lone Yucca Whippley Eye  

So complete, so intimidatingly complete

Windswept Cypress, Statuesque Sequoia
thriving without a need
yet without them man cannot succeed

So dependent, so naturally dependent

My hair whips above my head in fits.
as maverick winds nip at my neck
like a whiskered kiss.

So wild, so insatiably wild

California rubs her rugged shoulders raw
against a deluge of tides and seismic rides
Hammering sculptures that fill me with awe.

So transforming, so constantly transforming

A biker pulls off  Highway 1 
unlike me, he’s bold 
aiming his camera like a gun
framing Big Sur, as if it’s his to hold

So cavalier, so casually cavalier

I stand before the daunting divide of land and sea.
Resigned to forgo visiting Esalen and Nepenthe’s
My tension sinks roots like a tree.

So irrational, so ridiculously irrational

Suspended spans, celestial overpasses
the song of the road’s no longer Earth bound
I crave the sound of solid ground

So secure, so satisfyingly secure

It's not whether I forge ahead or waiver
it’s connecting with my heart’s toll
that ultimately makes me braver

So uniting, so courageously uniting

Patience steers me like a sage
straight into the fear and pain
that leads my pen across the page
accepting the mystery of who I am.

-Emily Bording
Capitola Book Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment