Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Brian Bielefeld'sTraffic Poem

traffic is heavy
intersection lights controlling
the lanes in all directions
one row of cars gets its turn
then another

the afternoon sun is warm
windows rolled down
I sit waiting to make my left turn
watching the screen of cars passing
in front of me
their left turn brings them
within a few feet of my eyes

faces pass
stories pass
a story in each face

jaws tight or relaxed
some smiling, some sad, some singing
one head hangs out the window
emulating his dog
the dog is smiling and so is he

one woman turning left
looking right, saying something
to the man sitting next to her
this is not a happy car

another story, then another

last in line, a Harley-Davidson
a woman, long auburn hair streaming
no helmet
a face at peace in this furious traffic
an ever so slight smile

in an instant
no, it was longer
a gasp for breath
and I fall deeply in love

they say that just before
you die, your life passes
before your eyes

I see my imagined life pass
along with that motorcycle
then the light changes
and I drive on

No comments:

Post a Comment